Saturday, June 28, 2014

Day 8: Cranbrook-Invermere

After the emotions of yesterday and another over cast sky I really didn't know what to expect as we rolled out after breakfast this morning, but now that it is over I can report that it was a GREAT day!!  The weather for today was awesome, my legs felt loose, and we had a nice tailwind for about 80-90% of the day...we made record time today biking 132km in just over 4 hours...my average speed for the day was 31.5km/h.  It was a fun day but obviously the thoughts and feelings of yesterday were never far away.

We got to the hotel at around 1pm which is great and we've had a nice afternoon sitting around in the pub and outside talking.  My cousin Aletha, her husband Byron, and their new born son came to visit with Kim and I.  It was so great to see them and catch up.

We also just met up with our Alberta riders.   This morning a group of 5 riders left from Banff on the "Rocky Mountain Weekend Ride" and met up with us here and they will be riding back to Banff with us tomorrow.

It is amazing to think that this is already Day 8 and tomorrow is our last day.  I am not counting my chickens before they hatch as anything can still happen before or during the ride tomorrow, but it is crazy to think that tomorrow is already our last day!  During the ride today I was thinking about specific things that have happened on the ride and all the days have already meshed together and I am having a hard time keep everything apart, which was the super hot day?  What day did it rain again?  When was Paulson?  Over time everything will define itself but on the ride it is just go go go and there isn't much time to sit and process.  On Day 3 (lets think about this)...we were in Osoyoos and I remember wondering how I was every going to make it for another 6 days.  I was dehydrated, my legs were cramping, and my saddle sores were getting really bad...and now here we are, only one day left!

One thing that is cool is that in the last 18 months I have put over 10,400km's on my road bike.  I never thought I would be able to do that.  Somehow I think it is going to take a lot longer to put the next 10,000 on it.  I think that once I get back I am going to have to drop my bike off at the bike shop for some work...over the past couple day with all the rain it has developed a squeak, it kind of reminds me of riding one of my old junk pile bikes back on the farm when I was a kid...however, throw enough oil on anything and I am sure that squeak will disappear (I am sure all my farming family is nodding with approval and all my cycling friends are shaking their heads in horror).

Tomorrow is going to be a tough day, it is a long day (150km) and a lot of climbing.  I am looking forward to the ride being done and if everything goes well it is going to be pretty amazing to once again see that Banff sign.  

Though the scenery was amazing today I regret to say I didn't do much with my camera, we were in a pace line all day moving at a good clip so I didn't really think it would be good to whip out my camera and hobble all over the road while trying to film.

Here is what tomorrow looks like:

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a great day George! Hope the last leg of your trek into Banff tomorrow is just as sweet! Looking forward to hearing all about your and Kim's adventures in person!
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - enough oil will make anything work for a bit longer! Well done George. Love reading your stories! NExt is the Sea to Sea tour across Canada? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear your day was great. And how nice to hear Tia and Byron and babe (Maxwell?)made it down to see you and Kim! Tomorrow looks pretty tough - our best wishes for the last day. Would love to be at the sign for you! Keep safe, Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete