Well all I can say is that the curse of Day 2 is still alive
and strong!! What is it with me and this day?!?! Okay, maybe it wasn’t
that bad, but today was a brutal day.
It started out quite well.
I felt strong leaving Chilliwack at 8am this morning and even when we
left Hope at around 10:45am I still felt good. But about half way up the Hope Slide the climbing began to
take its toll. I ended up getting
my first flat of the ride just over half way up the Slide and after that I just
couldn’t really get a good rhythm going.
The main thing that made the ride so hard today, and everyone suffered
today, was the heat. I have not ridden
in heat like that yet this year and the scary thing is that tomorrow is going
to be hotter as we get ride into the BC desert.
A lot of people experience leg cramping today as buckets of
sweat were just dripping off of us.
I was less than a km away from the Manning Park lodge and I had to pull
over and stop because both of my legs were cramping so bad. The volunteers waiting for us at the
top of Allison Pass said that every single person let out an expletive as they summated
the climb, as I said, pretty much everyone suffered today!
Tomorrow should be a nicer ride but it won’t bring much
relief. It is our longest day of
riding, 185km’s, and as I mentioned, it is going to be hot!
Today we had about 40 riders with us, but now it is just
down to the 21 nine-day riders. It
is a strong group and I foresee myself hanging out near the back for most of
the ride J However, I am so thankful to be doing
this ride again and I know I need to keep that in mind.
I did take quite a bit of video but I don’t know if I will
be able to upload it tonight as the internet here is very slow. If it doesn’t work out I will try
upload it tomorrow night from Osoyoos.
Here is what tomorrow looks like.
Allison Pass:
ps. please forgive me if there are lots of spelling/grammar/typo mistakes...I'm just too tired to edit this.

You are such an inspiration George! I can't imagine doing that ride!! I was really hoping to be able to meet you in Banff, but instead I will have to cheer you on from the plane. All the best for the rest of your ride!
ReplyDeleteWay to go George - you made good on a very tough day!! We'll be thinking of you tomorrow in the heat, hopefully while we are baling! Take care of yourself. Say "hi" to Kim, Love you both - Dad and Mom
ReplyDeleteWay to go, George! I'm sweating just reading that :)
ReplyDelete