I am very happy to report that today is over! That's pretty much all I got to say about that...okay, I'll tell you a bit about it. Today was another very difficult day. This was the longest ride I have ever done, 183km's, and again, it was some of the hottest weather I have ever ridden in. At one point during the second climb of the day my bike computer was registering 40 degree!
The day actually started off very well, we left Manning Park just a little after 8am and had a really nice 30km ride until our first climb of the day. Sunday Summit isn't a long climb but it was good enough after suffering through yesterday. From there we descended into Princeton and kept right on going. From Princeton we set our eyes on Keremeos where we would have lunch at the 134km mark. This took us to about 1:45pm when we pulled in there. From here on I, and most people, began to suffer. Right after leaving the lunch stop you could tell the heat was on! We had a pretty strong headwind for most of the day and there were times between Keremeos and Osoyoos where it felt like we were standing in front of the furnace, the wind was just so hot and dry.
This also coincided with our second and largest climb of the day, Richter Pass. When we finally got to these climbs I was just wasted and just had to keep telling myself I was going to be okay and to just take is easy. I rode this whole section with two other rides, Norm and Joan, and having them there was very nice as they helped provide the morale boost. When I finally pulled into our hotel here in Osoyoos my legs were cramping so bad I could barely get off my bike. Out hotel is right on the lake here so everyone pretty much just got off there bike and walked into the water with all their biking gear still on.
Anyway, tomorrow is a bit of a shorter day, 124km :( We begin with the long climb up Anarchist Summit, it is about a 30km climb to the top but we have a rest stop at about the 16km mark. Here is what tomorrow looks like:
Here are some pics from the ride today.

Wow George - that is unbelievable - to experience heat like that and still do the climb. We are so impresssed and proud of you, Please take care of yourself. I'm sure you guys are keeping Kim very busy.
ReplyDeleteHope tomorrow is abit more comfortable for you all - our thoughts and prayers go with you!
I'm so glad yesterday and today are over for you too!! I was thinking of you today as I "sat" on the lawnmower thinking it was a little "warm" out! :) Hope tomorrow feels like a little recovery day after the last two days! Stay safe; thinking of you and Kim LOTS! Love Lynette
ReplyDeleteI can not even imagine George, it takes amazing integrity and perseverance, both of which are shining stronger in you than that hot sun of the last two days. Take care you two. Lety
ReplyDeleteWe're cheering you on George! We were thinking of you and the rest of the team throughout the day and how the climbs were going. We hope today is easier. It was such an honor riding with you to Manning Park and meeting such an awesome group of people.
ReplyDelete