Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Cypress Training

So, as I said in my previous post (I think), I have not been up to the North Shore much this Spring.  Well I thought I better try change that, at least for one day.  So this morning I went up to Cypress.

The goal today was to do the mountain twice and it actually worked out!  I admit that I am not as fast as last year but I do think my endurance is better.  Last year I climbed Cypress twice in one day as well and the second time up I really struggled.  This time I actually felt better on the second climb than the first, that is until the final three km's when my legs let me know that they had enough.  Over-all though it was a good ride.  The weather was perfect and I actually had some fun coming down the mountain (usually I hate coming down).  I think I will be ready for the climbs on the trip.  I know I will be slower than last year but I think I should be able to make it.  I just have to make sure I set my own pace and don't burn myself out at the bottom of each ascent :)

One funny thing happened, I was about 500meters from the top of Cypress (or at least what I consider the final line) and a guy came riding up behind me.  Due to my heavy breathing (or maybe I should say snorting) and an earbud in my right ear, I didn't hear him coming.  Right as he was beside me, and he was right beside me, he said, "Good morning."  It startled me so much I nearly jumped out of my saddle all the while letting out quite a loud expletive!  He kept going and I was left laughing at myself.  I caught up with him at the top and we had a good chat.  Turns out he is the sponsor of a race team, Fulgas, that a friend of mine races for.  Just another story from the road.











No comments:

Post a Comment