Monday, June 10, 2013

Getting Geared Up

Well, here we go again, George is starting another blog. It is hard to believe but it is almost three years ago that I received my life saving double lung transplant. When people ask how I am doing I find it difficult to find the words. I just kind of smile and says, "Amazing." It truly is amazing the way God has blessed me over the past three years with my transplant. But of course, with great blessing also come great responsibility.

As you probably know by now, on June 22nd, I, along with 21 other rides will be heading out on a CF fundraiser called GearUp4CF. It is a nine-day, 1200km ride from Surrey to Banff. I am very excited for this ride. For one, it is a way to give back to the system and people that helped save my life many times over. While waiting for transplant I benefitted so much from the CF research that has been done before that I feel it is now my turn to help give back to those who may just be starting down this road. The single most important reason for this ride is to help fundraise for future research into finding a cure for CF. And believe it or not, things are looking brighter for the future of CF research. With the advent of a new drug out there, researchers and doctors are sensing (hopefully) a light at the end of what has been a VERY dark tunnel.

Another big reason for me doing the ride is to show just how amazing life can be post transplant. While waiting for transplant I dreamed of one day taking up golfing and if everything went really good, maybe one day skiing! What I never dared dream was that things could be so awesome that instead of walking around a golf course and skiing down a mountain, I could instead be biking over them! I hope that my ride can serve as a kind of encouragement to those who may soon by facing their own transplant journey or those who are already in the thick of it right now.

 So I invite you to sit back and follow along on my GearUp journey. Many of you followed along on my transplant journey through my previous blog, "Transplantation Revelation." You can find a link to that blog in the right-hand column. Though I will try to give some updates on how things are going during the ride, the main idea of this blog is for you to be able to follow our progress through the ride updates in the right-hand column. My bike computer will track my ride and all the info related to it and each night I will upload that info onto this site for you to check out and see where we are at. I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment