Thursday, April 10, 2014

To Ride or Not to Ride...that is the daily question

Now this may come as a surprise to many of you who know me, but despite my amazing physique (wow, I can actually hear you laughing through the internet) I am actually not a natural athlete, I know...right?!?...I bet you didn't know that!  But it's true, though I have excelled...okay...maybe...done okay(?) in sports in the past, cycling doesn't actually come naturally to me, at least not this much cycling.  So something interesting happens to me on many days I plan to go riding.  I wake up in the morning and right away I am excited about going for a ride later in the day, usually after lunch.  I have some breakfast, sit down and start studying for a couple hours, and soon it is time for lunch.  At this point I emerge from behind my computer and books, go into the kitchen and all of a sudden my earlier excitement for the ride begins to wobble.  I make my lunch, eat it, put away my dishes, look outside, then look back at the couch and coffee maker and all of a sudden my earlier motivation seem to fade fast.  But no, I push on!  I head to the bedroom and pull out my cycling shorts, jersey, arm warmers, and leg warmers.  I take the plunge and force them on...taking a look in the mirror I see that the amazing physique I referenced earlier all of a sudden disappears completely :)  I grimace and turn away as quick as possible (tight spandex-like clothes just aren't my thing).  I head back into the kitchen, grab an energy bar, fill my water bottles, slap on some sun screen (curse myself for putting it on my forehead again as I know in about 45minutes it will be running into my eyes), slip on my windbreaker vest, buckle up my shoes, put on my helmet, look once more in the mirror by the door (this time just simply laughing...am I starting to sound vain?) and head into the garage.  From here I know there is no turning back yet there is always a part of me asking, "Do I really need to do this?"  I grab my pump, put some air in my tires, and carry my bike outside.  As I stand outside, the longer it takes for my Garmin computer to find its satellite connection the more that couch and coffee maker weigh on my mind...but then something changes.  As I set my pedal and hear the "click" of my shoe locking into place all of a sudden I begin to get excited again.  As I push off and hear the sound of my second shoe clicking in...IT IS ON!!
I make no defence, I am totally one of those annoying people who knows he will enjoy something yet sometimes finds it so hard to bring himself to do it.  As hard as it is to sometimes force myself into my biking gear and out the door, as soon as I clip in I am always happy to be out there...unless it starts raining, but that is a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment