Saturday, April 19, 2014

Live Life Celebration Ride (Part 2)

Well I am happy to report that yesterday went quite well.  I caught the 7am ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay and began thinking about the long day ahead.  However, before getting to worked up I ended up meeting a fellow GearUp rider on the ferry, Bill Markvoort, who was also going to the ride.  Bill graciously offered me a ride to Victoria and I gratefully accepted.  Once we got to Victoria the wind was blowing like crazy!!  If I was still pre-transplant I don't think I would have been able to breath in that wind.

The ride was a lot of fun.  There were about 50 people who showed up so it was a big group...Paul is quite the popular guy.  Over the course of the 100km's we all got pretty spread out, but it was nice to ride in a group again, I do miss that on all my long solo rides.
We finished the 100km's around 2:30pm, meaning I had a half hour to rest up before riding back the Ferries (40km's).  I took a designated bike path back and I am proud to say I only got lost once...who builds a bike path that disappears in the middle of a subdivision anyway??
Riding from Tsawwassen ferry terminal to our house (25km's) was more of a mental struggle thing that anything else. I had a bit of a tail wind so I didn't feel too tired, but for some reason the road just looked so looooong in from of me.  I just kept watching my Garmin counting down the km's till I would make it home.
All in all, it was a great day.  I did 165km's on the day which I think that is the most I have ever done in one day.

Here is a short video of the day, again, sorry it is so shaky, a lot of that was due to the wind.


No comments:

Post a Comment