Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Bee Sting at 62km/h

So today I had a new experience on the bike... I got stung by a bee!  I was coming down the steep hill on HWY 17 (South Fraser Perimeter Road) right where is comes down from HWY 1 and all of a sudden I felt something hit my "upper inner thigh" and then, ouch, a sting!  I think the little guy got stuck between my thigh and my seat and then nailed me.  I was hoping the sting would quickly go away but after a km or so I had to pull over and check it out.  I pulled over on the side of the highway (in a somewhat safe place) lifted my leg onto the concrete barrier and tried to pull up my shorts to see if the stinger was out (I can image this probably didn't look very good to the passing motorists and truckers).   Anyway, there wasn't much to see other than a white and red circle and there wasn't much I could do at that point, so I kept going.  After about another km the pain went away and the rest of the ride was uneventful.

In my last post I mentioned I wanted to get some longer rides in.  Today was my second 130+km ride.  It felt quite good and my average speed was quite a bit higher than I expected.

On Saturday I went up to Seymour.  My goal was to ride up and down it and then see how far up I could get a second time.  However, the fog/cloud was so dense just a third of the way up that I got totally soaked and on the way down started shivering so bad I couldn't make it stop.  So I figured I better get home before I got sick or anything.  I didn't stop shivering until I pretty much made it home.  Note to self, just because it is sunny at home does not mean the mountains will be clear :)






No comments:

Post a Comment